Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Uruguay In Four Parts - Cuz I Said That's How Many It Needed - Parte Cuatro - Punta del Este

So I'm doing a review/my thoughts on Uruguay in four equal installments (we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all installments were created equal):

  1. Uruguay - an overall review and my thoughts on what they're doing right or wrong as a country
  2. Montevideo - thoughts on the capital city
  3. Colonia - one word: chivitos
  4. Punta del Este - best beaches in South America (so far)
You are now experiencing Part Four. Enjoy.

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!

So, Punta del Este. It means "Point of the east". East point? West point? West Point? Whatever. So, first, GO. Go there. Do that. Do that thang. Seriously, it's beautiful.

I remember the first time I heard about Punta del Este. A beautiful Argentinian girl told me about it. Said it was her favorite beach to go to, at least in Uruguay, anyway. I remember her describing it to me as a "town", but I have a shitty memory, especially when I'm drinking.* I'm not sure if I like going to places with the wrong conception, or not conception for that matter, of said place. I should really do my homework. But I suppose I do enjoy the surprise. Especially when it's a nice surprise. I feel more endeared to a place that I haven't traveled there and found it to be a shithole. So, thanks, places.

This is all to say that, in my humble opinion, Punta del Este NOT a town. When I first saw it from a distance, I saw high-rise buildings, presumably hotels and condos. There's a freaking Conrad there, one of the high end brands of the Hilton chains of hotels. But tall buildings a city does not make. Punta del Este had some of the markings of a city but it still felt like a town. Driving through (we did this in a rental car in late November so it was before tourist season and we didn't have to deal with the bus station), Punta del Este is stretched out about, the curves of the road matching the shoreline, the touristy places nearer the point and the locals who run them living further inward. All hail consumerism.

But Punta del Este is beautiful. I loved it. To this point in my trip so far (and I have not been to Rio yet before you get all up in arms), the best beaches I have visited in South America. Beautiful. Comparable to beaches on the gulf, specifically Orange Beach in Alabama and Pensacola Beach in Florida in terms of cleanliness, sand (color, cut, clarity, and carat), day-beauty**, and overall ambience and beachiness***. It is more or less attractive than the control beaches in terms of seagulls. The girls are comparable, which I know is important to everyone.

It it, just, nice beach! The sand is warm and inviting. Go, put out a towel, and enjoy.

Unfortunately, I was only able to visit their for the day, not even one night. I could have spent a week there but I would have been like Odysseus with Circe. Five years would have felt like five days. I would have been lost. But a glorious five years it would be.**** If you get the chance to go, make sure you see the hand statue (see photo below). It is there in remembrance of those lost at see. There are two others, at least, once in Puerto Natalie, Chile, and another in the north of Chile somewhere. I'm not sure where. It is good for making photo.

As I was there for only a day, I did not get to experience the nightlife, so I have no thoughts or recommendations there. But it's the beach. Get some rum and make a party of it. Otherwise, like I said, make sure and see the hand statue and there's also this thing called casapueblo. Yeah, casapueblo. Google it if you're interested. I wasn't impressed. There's also a couple of good miradores for photos.

Love to all,
Ya Boy



*Big whoop, wanna fight about it?

**How beautiful the day is

***Scientific term of my own design. Patent-pending.

****Am I a beach bum? What's the definition of a beach bum? I think I'm a beach bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment