Sunday, November 17, 2013

18 Wheelers in Buenos Aires

First, let me start with this question: is there a difference in 18 wheelers and transfer trucks? What's the official name for an 18 wheeler? That can't be the official name, right? The official name for a truck can't be based on the number of wheels the truck has, right? We're not that lazy in America, tell me that much. Trevor, help me out here.

To the real point of this post: I was noticing that in the city of Buenos Aires (BA), I had seen basically no 18 wheelers. Like none. Which makes sense and doesn't at the same time. It makes sense because Buenos Aires is a big city but with streets that really aren't quite adequate. In fact, it would make sense for at least the city to make an ordinance saying "No 18 wheelers in the city of Buenos Aires. Traffic is shitty enough as it is and the sidestreets, as well as even the main streets, aren't wide enough for you and can't handle you due to the volume of traffic and width of the streets. Seriously, you'd just make everything worse. Don't do it. I'm serious, young man. Don't...don't make me...put that down."

So, but then what to do with the 18 wheelers? Buenos Aires is a huge city with what I assume is a huge port. Okay, it can't be that huge cuz where the hell is BA gonna send stuff? Why import there? Besides, the Argentine hates the word "import". It's a four letter word for them. But still, you gotta do something with the goods once their imported, either by rail or truck, and we know BA isn't going to do things exclusively by rail. Cuz no city can/would. So where the hell are all the 18 wheelers???

It would further make sense that the city of BA would say, in addition to no 18 wheelers in the city, that all trucks had to use the highways and go around the city and all delivers into the city have to be made by smaller trucks. We aren't quite the same in the US, but we do have shipping lanes/routes and bypass routes for shipping/trucks around cities. Which makes perfectly wonderful, logical sense.

So what's going on?? Where's the beef? Er, the 18 wheelers? They must be somewhere? Those goods have to get to their destinations!

Well I'll tell you.

I was going to write a post I hadn't seen any...until LITERALLY my last day in Buenos Aires. On my last day, November 15, 2013, I was walking from my hostel in San Telmo to the south port Puerto Madero to catch a ferry to Uruguay when I saw, well, several 18 wheelers. There were doing EXACTLY what is described above. The trucks were coming directly from the port and hopping on the elevated highway that goes over and around Buenos Aires. But not through the city streets. God, if you put transfer trucks on 9 de Julio, traffic would never move again in the city.

So, why didn't I see any 18 wheelers in Buenos Aires until the day I left? A) Because I'm oblivious to things and have little natural common sense. and B) I hadn't hung out by the port much and studied shipping patterns or laws.

It makes sense. I'd probably seen 18 wheelers in BA and just not noticed them. And there's probably more to this story than I know. It's super-simplified, right? But it does make you wonder about supply chain in BA and if they've got it figured out.*

*Hint: doubtful

No comments:

Post a Comment