Saturday, November 16, 2013

On Why Spencer Burness Is The Greatest Human Being Ever

Brennan: "Holy shit, that place was ridiculous."
Spencer: "(in Matthew McConaughey accent) I know, man, I know."
Brennan: "How'd you find that place?"
Spencer: "Remember when we were cabbing through town earlier? I saw that place and went 'food truck!!' and dropped a pin on my phone."
Brennan: "You're a fucking genius."
Spencer: "Goddamn right."*

First, a disclaimer: No, Spencer Burness is not the greatest human being ever, probably. But bros, don't be offended. You're all awesome. Just, in this particular moment, Spencer displayed a kind of genius normally only found in baby dolphins and feral cats. It was quite impressive.

DISCLAIMER OVER

I had to tell this story. A very specific story, a sea change from my normal vague rants. Spencer visited me in South America, specifically Buenos Aires, at the beginning of November 2013. On Wednesday of that week, we went over to Colonia, Uruguay. There we discovered the Uruguayans have a food called *pause for angelic chorus* chivitos. What is a chivito? A chivito is a food served over fries or in sandwich form. It is beef (some kind of sirloin steak deal) and on top ham, cheese, and a fried egg, and possibly a little lettuce, tomato, and onions mixed it. Throw in some salt, some peppers, tabasco, and some other sauces, mostly mayonaisse based, serve it over fries or on bread, and you have about the greatest food ever known. It's insanely good. It's a billion calories but it'll change your religion (pssst you're looking in the wrong direction). Is a chivito distinctly Uruguayan? I don't know and I don't care. The food is insane. I just met some Americans like an hour ago and they told me you can find them in Chile but they suck there.

Anyways, Spencer looked these up before/on the way to/in Uruguay so we tried them. We ended up eating 3 of them, one of fries and 2 in sandwich form. The first time we had the sandwich form, he called it the greatest late night food he'd ever had. He was more than right.

Spencer's genius of both recognizing the food truck, having the good sense, mental fortitude, and technological awareness to drop a pin at that location, and then remembering it later when we were drunkhungry was impressive. Make him CEO, I say.

Look, that's really all I care to say on this story. There's a lot more I will eventually say about Colonia and Uruguay, but for now I hope you have devoured this story as rampantly as Spencer and I devoured our chivitos. Dee-lish.

*Conversation has been altered liberally to fit how I want it to have gone. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

No comments:

Post a Comment