Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I miss beer

Twice I sat down for about 48 seconds (each time), trying to think of a clever title for this post. But this post is too serious, the topic too important to a) waste more time thinking of a title instead of just getting to writing and b) to joke about.

Beer. I miss it. Seriously. Fo sho. Fo shizzle. Fo shizzle dizzle. Something something Snoop Lion. I really miss beer.

I can hear you now, "But Brennan, you fool! They have beer in South America, in Buenos Aires, surely, of course!" And why, yes, they do...kind of. They have Quilmes (like Bud Light) and Brahma (like Miller Light...I guess. I hate Miller Light so much I've almost forgotten the taste). And other beers. German beers are quite popular in many bars, too. You can find Warsteiner (the stuff here I think is actually made here in Argentina) and Isenbeck (which is German, right?? Just...shut up). And a few others here and there, a Stella, a Budweiser. And in some places they have "artsenal" beers, which I guess is our answer to microbrews/craft beers. But please. Just please. Stop. Por favor. I tried, I dunno, 2 or 3 of these at one place. They don't hold a candle to our American microbrews. Ugh. I miss them so much. Now, I could be wrong. I haven't tried all of them. But I tried "IPA" for example. I don't know who makes it. But the beer was not "an" IPA, it was literally named "IPA". Was it an IPA? Not by a longshot. Not unless IPA means "sweet tasting liquid" (spoiler alert: it doesn't). Anyways, maybe there is good beer here. But I sure haven't found it. If you know where there is good beer in Argentina, tell me. THERE IS A REWARD.

So, American beers. I don't say American beer to be jingoistic/xenophobic/some asshole American. It's just, well, hell, I've lived most of my life there. Nearly all of it. And boy do we have some tasty brews. I miss plain ole simple Sweetwater 420, from my beloved Atlanta. Ugh, if they just had that here! NOMS. And and Lefthand Sawtooth or Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA or or God how about a Magic Hat #9 or gosh what else! Sierra Nevada! Or Terrapin Hopsecutioner! Oh man I'd hopsecute someone for some of that right now! Yeesh. Just...I miss that. I miss having so many good beers and so many so readily as my disposal (hope you get that joke...the disposal also being my gullet).

I miss it. I miss the flavor.

Now, that is not to say I don't love non-American beers, tambien. I love me some Belgian beers. The beers I thought for the longest time were the only ones that could make black out. Thanks for proving me wrong, Oktoberfest. No, seriously. Jerks. (Nah, I love you Brotoberfest. You rock. I'll come back any time, thanks.) But I love Belgian beers! Ay yi yi, in Brussels! Magnificent! I did find a Lefe here and gladly paid the billion dollars it cost due to import tariffs or what-the-fuck-ever and savored every expensive-as-liquid-gold drop. Yum!

In Defense of Argentine Beer

One other thing...I do have to defend Argentine beer and my taste for it. I buy the cheap shit here. Quilmes mainly. A little Brahma when a place is out of Quilmes. It's terrible. The thing is, I haven't found a step up from here. There is no other Argentine beer that I know of. Just these two sloggin' it out (also enjoy my use of the term "sloggin'") for the title of "Worst Argentine Beer"! Sweetwater 420 isn't the cheapest thing in the states, but I'll happily pay a little bit more for it than a Bud Light.

Anyways, love you guys. Have some Hopsecutioner on ice for me when I get back. Besos.
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment