Monday, October 21, 2013

La Cueva de Las Manos - Part 1: The Plan (The Pledge)

I'ma let you finish, but...

This is the story of my adventure to La Cuevas de Las Manos (The Cave (bum bum BUUUMMM) of Hands). So much to say. Where to begin.

After writing this post, it was so long I knew I'd probably give some a hatred aneurysm, so I cut it into several pieces.

The Plan

So, as I was "planning" my South America journey, I discovered something called The Cave of Hands (TCOH). Not sure how. Random research, I'm sure. And I said "Hey, can I get a fresh coal?" Oh, and, "I MUST DO THIS."  I guess I should explain what TCOH is. It's a cave in the middle of rural Argentina where they are paintings, both like handprints and negatives (the outline of the hand) done by cavemen, like, a long time ago. I forgot if it was 9300 years ago or 9300 B.C. A LONG TIME AGO, OKAY? And there are some other drawings, like of animals (a hunt, I imagine) and people. But mainly hands. TONS OF HANDS. There's even one of Les Miles clapping. Actually, no joke, there are 2 rocks that look like that. Well, of someone clapping. I prefer to think of Les Miles but his clapping form is so ridiculously asinine. I'll eventually get the photos on Facebook.

I researched a little bit about the cave and where it is located. There are several websites about it, with history, stories, testimonials, and (tons of) photos. Naturally, The Lonely Planet's site on it is very good. The one thing all of these sites is missing is a step-by-step guide on how to get there. I mean, here I am, sitting in the good ole US of A and I can't plan a trip to the rural part of a country in South America simply by searching online for a few minutes?* WHAT PLANET ARE WE ON RIGHT NOW? It's like I'm taking crazy pills. Ground control to Major Tom. Anyways, same when I was kind of planning this in Buenos Aires. I mean, I wasn't even sure if I had the right location. Google even says it's in Chile! (It displays the correct location in Argentina, though... go fig.)

I did find one bit of very, very useful, valuable information: the closest airport you can really fly into to visit the cave is Comodoro Rivadavia (CR - abbreviating here because my autocorrect is being really aggressive right now.).

So I put together this trip: fly from BA to CR, take a bus from there to Perito Moreno, which is the closest town to TCOH, then hire a driver there to take me for the day. There ARE, awesomely enough, free tours there everyday. They have tours but no website with directions. Damnit.

*This excludes all websites in Spanish. I was too lazy to translate. Although, I know this sounds dickish, but English would be wise here, oh Argentine internet gods. You know for the sake of tourism. I have a whole other post on that, though.

For more, see: La Cueva de Las Manos - Part 2: The Trip (The Turn)

No comments:

Post a Comment