Monday, October 28, 2013

So Today I Met, No. 2: Some dude who has been traveling for 13, or 16, maybe, years or something. Cray.

I think my blog post titles alone should earn me an Emmy. I mean, just take my top 10.

10.) I puked in the fishbowl, don't say it was you
9.) Inappropriate things I did as a college freshman and #10 wasn't one of them
8.) How did Tucker Max EVER get laid with a name like that? He must have lied to women. About his name.
7.) Top Gun is the greatest bro movie ever made and Keanu is pissed he passed up the role of Slider
6.) Slider *sniffs* you stink
5.) Something something shirtless volleyball mmm shirtless volleyball. Men's volleyball. IT'S A TOP GUN REFERENCE.
4.) Four Top Gun Blog Post Titles So Far, How Am I Looking?
3.) The Lead Mig's Hooking Into Guns Range. There's a mig on our tail, we gotta get outta here! He's coming around, he's coming around, he's gonna get behind us!
2.) I'M NOT. LEAVING. MY WINGMAN.
1.) You can be my wingman anytime. Bullshit. You can be mine.
0.) Beeehhhhhrrrr weeehhhhhrrrr wehr wehr wehhhhrrrr (it's...it's the Top Gun theme song).*

Back to my post...thanks for indulging my random aside. Random asides aside, let's continue. And be brief.

So today I met a guy, I knew his name, but I've forgotten since, who had been traveling 16 years. I swear he told me 16 when I asked him but someone else later told me 13 years. 13, 16, it's a damned long time. I prefer 16 because it sounds better. You know it, I know it, get past it.

It's just kind of...fascinating. 16 years! 16 years not at home, without a home! He sounded British so we're gonna say he was British. He'd seen, like, everything. And even though he'd seen so much, he still hadn't seen it all. Not even close. Think about that, America? Think you're well-traveled cuz you spent 2 weeks in the Amazon or did a mission trip somewhere for a week when you were 12? Think again, fat boy! Try traveling for 16 years and then having the balls to admit "No, I haven't seen it all."

Now, granted, he did stay put in some places for a little bit. I think he said he lived/worked in India for like 4 years. And he had gone back to the UK at least once for a year to work to make more money to support his habit. He also (getting this info 2nd hand here) has an apartment/flat/something/whatever in the UK he collects rent from to support his lifestyle and also has some inheritance from his parents.

Still, it's amazing, and awesome. He was a very cool guy. His pajama pants had holes and were tattered but so what? 16 years of traveling and, if you weren't frugal at the beginning, I bet you are now.

Anyways, that...that's really it. I explained where he was from, what he is doing, how long he'd been doing it, and how he was doing it. He was also very tall and skinny with a well-groomed beard.**

*Spoiler alert: I just told you the whole story of Top Gun, except for GOOOOOSSSSEEEE! The rest is just noise. Glorious noise.

**Yes, I did just write this post as a tribute to Top Gun. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment