Saturday, September 14, 2013

La Embajada de Los Estados Unidos y mas

Where to begin...so yesterday (I'm writing this on the morning of 9/14) I went to the US embassy here in BA because I am almost of places to put stamps on my passport. Dear Americans, if you don't understand what an advantage it is to be American, FIGURE. IT. OUT. I had an appointment and am a US citizen so I skipped the lines and walked straight in. I could either get a book added to my passport that day (cost of $82) or renew my passport and get it back in 3 weeks (for a cost of $110). I chose the later. The whole trip took me maybe 2-ish hours but was still a good experience. The State Department does a really good job of taking care of its citizens outside our borders. God Bless America (#nosarcasm, #nofilter).

I cabbed there but walked back. I think it was almost 9 km (get a calculator if you want to put this into miles). On the way I stopped for a breakfast of breads, sweet things (imagine two small cookies with nutella between them), jugo de naranja, y café. It was wonderful. I swear, everyone who goes to Europe and is a pretentious dick is like "Oh em geeeee you could just stop at any café anywhere and get the best bread and coffee eveeeerrrr HASHTAGYOLO." Well, yeah, I'm being that dick here now. F*******!!!! It really was delightful, though. Oh, and I also don't have a job so I was in no rush. So that help.

I walked back and charged my phone briefly and met this girl Sarah from Australia. We went and got some food (see the tango photo on Facebook) and walked back. Nice girl, very nice meeting her. Hooray hostels! She has been like most people I've met here: we meet and they leave. She was headed to Peru.

I then went and bought a new charger and cord for my camera cuz I forgot them in America. F. It was a total ripoff but the guy was nice and he also changed the rest of my US money for 7 pesos to 1 USD. I don't understand this. Yesterday, Google said the exchange was 5.7 pesos to 1 USD. Why did he pay a premium? Fuck it. It's also like when I applied for my new passport. When I did, I needed a new photo. The lady at the embassy told me that there was someone who did photos across the street in the park. Sure enough, they were in a white van, a daughter and father. They said I could pay $10 USD or 90 pesos. So, to me, $10 USD is 57 pesos. So I paid in dollars. Then they offered me change in USD or pesos because I gave them a $20 bill. So I gave them $20 USD and in my mind received almost $16 in change. I don't get it. Whatever. I don't consider myself dishonest because I think I'm missing something.

So, finally, camera in hand, I went out last night to try to my first empanadas and see some more of the city. I tried carne, carne picante, y jamon y queso. The carne picante was not picante. Dicks. But they were good. And I had my first beer. A whole liter in fact for about $2.50. Awesome. Check Facebook for the amazing pick I got soon.

New words I learned recently and still remember: balanceo, embajada, serpiente, propina (tip on a bill), centavos (Argentine cents), estacionar, estacionmente (I think that'd right), aprovechar, basura, contendor (??), elastico, humida (I had learned this before and forgot it), prohibido (obvious)...I'm sure there are others...

No comments:

Post a Comment