Thursday, September 26, 2013

A couple things on cars

One of the things you hear from tourists and guidebooks (not sure if Lonely Planet is guilty) is that drivers don't have respect for pedestrians. As with anything you hear about a culture, it is not immediately or readily obvious. But today marks my two week mark in Buenos Aires and I'd have to say that, yeah, drivers are less wary of drivers here. But only when the driver has the light. If you're across a street with no light, the drivers yield just fine. But if the driver has the light and you're thinking you can beat him, he might even speed up just to make you think twice (not really kidding here...). They're pretty much like "It's my light, and I'll run you over if I want to." So, do drivers have less respect for pedestrians here than in, say, Branson, Missouri? Yeah, but, like I said, only when they've got the light. Can't really blame 'em for trying to make you dirty your underdelicates.

I measure the wealth of a people/country in any number of ways, but certainly by a very obvious standard: the cars. They're everywhere and come in many varieties. For example, when I was in Switzerland, if felt very rich because all the cabs are Mercedes-Benz. (But that may also be because the market demands it). But the cars there were typically very nice. Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, some Hondas. Here, and I mean no offense by this, it's fairly middle class, maybe a touch above. I've seen plenty of Renault and Hondas. Some Alfa Romeos (I dig the grills on the new Alfas, btw. See below.) But what is noticeable is the lack of luxury cars, like Mercedes and BMW. I'm not sure how expensive Alfa is. Maybe it has something to do with imports or how weak the Argentine peso is to the dollar. No idea. But in general the cars here are nice, well-maintained. No complaints.

I know the post is titled "A couple things on cars" but here's one more half-thing. You do, very rarely, see some old school American muscle here. An old, restored Chevy or Ford. Pretty sweet.


I'm sure the grill is polarizing, but I dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment