Wednesday, September 18, 2013

El Subte

Today, I took the subway for the first time. Here the signs say "Subte" for "subterraneo". I'm sure you get it. I took it to a DHL location to the northwest of my location. DHL, you say? But Brennan, why? I'll tell you why. They handle the to/from shipping service for my passport. Don't know the rest of my passport story? Too bad. I'm not retelling it. Or go back and read my previous posts. Which post? I'M NOT TELLIN FIGURE IT OUT. So, I had to go there to tell them where to send my passport, which will be my new hostel. Turnaround time is 15 business days (per the embassy, not DHL). When the lady told me the shipping costs, I misunderstood her. I thought she said $700 pesos (maybe $100 USD). She said $70 pesos. WHEW. So that's pretty cheap, really.

So then I pretty much spent the rest of my day searching for this hookah place Google/Foursquare/others said existed. No dice. Dicks. Guess I should learn to use a phone. Did I mention it was raining the entire time. I was out in the rain probably for 4-5 hours. I did stop twice, once for lunch and once for coffee (cuz I was fah-ree-zing). For lunch I had a jamon y queso empanada, a carne empanada, and an alfajor! For the uninitiated, an alfajor a sweet, not sure if it's meant for dessert or not, and resembles a moonpie in the US. Imagine two crumbly wafers and in between something that tastes like nutella, or another option is chocolate, and then that whole contraption is coated with a film of vanilla. It's not bad. I kind of expected better, just because, everything different should be better, but that's not an insult. Good to try new things.

And it was neat just wandering around looking for this hookah place. I'm sure I'm seeing a lot more than I would otherwise if I knew exactly where I was going. Besides, what else am I doing? Not like I have an agenda.

Oh, and the subway. Guess I should talk about that. A one-way ticket is $2.50 pesos, so, depending on the day, half a dollar to well under half a dollar. Not bad. And the service is great and trains are quite clean. Good experience. Then again, I have no idea if the trains were on time because I didn't care. But definitely a great way to get around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment